Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wednesday Wanderings Linky Party: Hope (Ring the Bells that Still can Ring)

Many weeks ago, my friend Rebecca posted this image on her instagram feed. She took the photo on her morning walk. I was drawn in by the verse, the meter, and the message.


"Ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in."
-Leonard Cohen

The quote reminded me of a discussion I once had with my friend, Father Rusty. We were talking about brokenness of humanity, and how society often dictates that we have to hide our broken nature, that we must keep our faults hidden so that we won't be judged or looked down upon by others. That we must cover up our differences, our frailties, our sorrows for fear of being seen as weak.

I know that in the past I've felt pressure to hide the fact that sometimes math gives me issues, that I've lived with migraines, or that I went through post traumatic stress disorder after my son was born. It's as if we fear that getting labeled as having a "problem," will somehow own us, define us, and limit our future.

Instead, it's these unique aspects of ourselves, these different experiences, these hardships that we have overcome that give us strength and dimension.

Just as it is the cracks in a wall that light shines through to create beautiful patterns of sunlight in a courtyard.
Without our broken-ness, we would miss some of the depth of our own beauty.

And it is the holes in a lantern that allow us to see the light radiating from the center.
Without the nicks in life's armor, we would not be able to shine the light of experience for others.










The simple rules:
1. If you post something, please stop by and leave a comment on the 2 people that posted before you.
2. Please stop by "On Wings and Waves" and say hi to Kristen :)
3. Please share links from your blog that you haven't shared here before.
4. Please grab the Wednesday Wanderings button and share it in your post so other people can join in the fun.

Let's get linking!
Linking up with:
Tell Me a Story

7 comments:

Jessica Bates said...

Paula, I think we were supposed to meet! Just this week, I was informed that I too suffer from past traumatic experiences. And oh, the fear of being vulnerable enough to share that. But it's real! And as I wrote in my blog post (linked above!), the Lord has recently made it VERY clear, that when I hold it back, I hold back Glory for Him, for our restored, healed and in-progress of growing selves are trophies of His grace and love played out. He has given us the power to let His light shine through our cracks (LOVE THAT!!) and when we don't, we deny others, in our lives for a reason, the possibility of hope for their own dark places.

Love your post, love the link-up. Loving you!

Kristen Hamilton said...

Totally awesome post, Paula! I have meditated on very similar truths. I heard a quote a couple years ago about how you can't know/see the light if you don't know the darkness. And I'm also reminded of that old email that has been rotated for years about the clay pot who feels bad for being broken, but because of water leaking out of its cracks, discovers that the side of the path that the "owner" held it on had beautiful flowers and foliage. The side of the path with the in-tact pot, not leaking water, was dry and barren. The "owner" delighted in the beauty that the broken pot caused. I have found the same truth to be true in my life. We're all broken and we're all beautiful, creating dimension and substance through our brokenness. Wonderful thoughts to ponder! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just like the helpful info you provide for your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly.
I am moderately certain I will be told lots of new stuff proper here!
Good luck for the following!

Here is my web page :: upvc Patio doors

A Joyful Noise said...

There are times when we are not a pretty sight (inside and out) but I am happy that the blood of Jesus can wash me whiter than snow. Your poem is lovely and we should always ring the bells, even if we are the only one doing the ringing. :-)

A Joyful Noise said...

Thank you for sharing at "Tell Me a Story". I noticed the cookie cutter comments from anonymous. These are surfers who are really not reading your blog, but are hoping you will click on their link and be a customer. I finally adjusted my comments not to receive anonymous, but instead of approving the comment you can also mark them as spam and not print them. (just a suggestion) :-)

MrsP said...

Liking the image of the crack that lets in light very much. Makes me think differently about those little imperfections...

Laura Boggess said...

That quote by Cohen is so beautiful. Your friend captured loveliness and I'm so glad you shared it with us here. Thanks for this sweet image of light to carry with me today.