Thursday, December 27, 2012

Favorite Projects of 2012

This year has been such a journey for me, and for my little family. In February, after Sean had lost his job and we were a one income, we had to look for new ways to make the budget work. And after we did the math, well, we discovered we'd do better, budget-wise if we bought a house and moved, than if we kept our rental.

We started our search for a home, and candidly, we went through two realtors in February and March before we found the right one. And boy, Lisa was fast paced. Our search started in late April, when we bid on this little short sale:

homesweethome

We got our keys on June 20th, and took a week to do the floors and paint the inside of the house. We really lucked out on our gorgeous hardwoods, hiding under the grossest carpet ever:

Untitled


One of my favorite transformations involved repainting the hall bathroom, and updating the medicine cabinet above the sink. I loved this project, and loved the impact it had on the room.

guestbathroombeforeafter2

Another very favorite project was repainting an Ikea hutch. I'd had this for over twelve years, and I can't believe the difference that a little paint makes!

sidebysider

By mid-July, I'd started dreaming of ways to update our kitchen. You can see some early moodboards, and my choices for curtains on this post.

And lastly, a little more progress in the kitchen, I finished the curtains and created a small desk for the corner by the window. I love that I have a little personal space in my kitchen now!

kitchen_wide

I'm really excited about the changes we've made and the direction that the house is taking. In 2013, we're planning on making even more updates :)

Linking up to:

26 comments:

MyChampagneTaste said...

Love the colors...same as my home :)

Paula said...

Your home is lovely! Thank you for stopping by :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Charming hutch...love the colors!

Blessings,
Linda

Paula said...

Thank you Linda :) It makes me happy every time I see it!

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

That hutch makeover is to die for! I love the colors you chose and how you didn't stick with all one color. So beautiful!!

Laurie said...

I LOVE how you painted and decorated the hutch! :)

I'd like to invite you to join our weekly Sunday/Monday Meet & Greet Blog Hop. Come link up and join the fun if you have time this weekend!

http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2012/12/sunday-monday-meet-greet-blog-hop_29.html

Kimberly H. Smith said...

Really like the new medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I'm always amazed when people cover up hardwood floors with carpet. Good for you. Visiting from SITS.

Kendra Larios-Mendez said...

I'm loving this post! And your bathroom looks amazing! I just recently bought my own home (as a matter of fact my post this week was a home tour) and can't wait to start making changes to it! Can't wait to see what else you do to make that precious little house yours. Congrats and Happy SITS day!!!

anotherjennifer said...

It looks great! How lucky you were to find beautiful wood flooring under the yucky rug. I live in an old house (circa 1892) that we are constantly renovating. It's fun, but tiring!

Happy SITS Day.

misssrobin said...

They all look awesome! I'm especially taken with the bathroom. I've been needing to update mine for a while now but haven't been able to fit it in. This may be the nudge I needed. Thanks. And great work.

Sheila Skillingstead said...

So exciting to see what you've done so far. It's interesting that when more people are renting, you made home ownership work for you. Congrats. Enjoy your SITS Day.

Danielle D'Ambrosio said...

What an exciting purchase for 2012 - we're on one income in my house too with my husband out of work and it's nice to see how you guys made it work! So inspiring :) Happy SITS Day!

Adrienn TUJ said...

I love the hutch! Not only is the color awesome, but you dressed it up so pretty with all the accessories. Thanks for sharing! Visiting from SITS, hope you have a great day full of bloggy love!

Rabia said...

I love it when people discover lovely hardwood floors under the carpet. Sadly the carpet in our dining room is covereing ugly green 1970s tiles over concrete! :(

Jennifer said...

I love your after photos! So cute! I'm looking to redo every room in my duplex this year. I'm looking forward to reading through your blog!

Happy SITS Day!

hoppybottoms.com said...

I love what you did with that hutch. the color is great. You are really working hard on that house. Happy SITS Day.

Lynne said...

So beautiful! Those floors are great, and that hutch is gorgeous. Love the color.

Heather said...

The hutch looks amazing and finding hardwood under that carpet?! You did a great job mama! Beautiful blog by the way!

Michelle Nahom said...

Love what you have done!! Happy SITS day!

Melissa said...

I love the colors! We are moving into a new home in June and will be doing some work on it in the next coming months, including new flooring, paint and updating the guest bathroom, so I love all of the ideas!

theadoredhome said...

First, Happy SITS day to you! Second, I love your saying of "waltz with your faults." How awesome is that!! And third, your blog is so cute and I love the painted hutch it really turned out well. Looking forward to more of your reno!

theadoredhome said...

First, Happy SITS day to you! Second, I love your saying of "waltz with your faults." How awesome is that!! And third, your blog is so cute and I love the painted hutch it really turned out well. Looking forward to more of your reno!

Jenny @ Creatively Blooming said...

Found you on SITS, and I'm your newest follower. That hutch looks amazing painted! And I love the bathroom. What luck that there was hardwood under the carpet. Awesome!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Jenny
www.creativelyblooming.com

Julie Jordan Scott said...

This may sound strange, but I have hutch envy. I have been on the lookout for a thrift hutch thinking I needed vintage, but now I see how your Ikea hutch, painted - works GREAT! I am taking it on myself to kick this project up a notch in priority. I also love the bathroom mirror. Looks like you are putting a lot of spirit in your new place.

Absolutely fantastic!

Happy SITS day!

(I also wonder how much you enjoy the Wednesday link up. I'm looking for some good ones with people like you and me. LOL)

homejobsbymom said...

Love how the bathroom turned out. I'm doing all kinds of house projects this year. Hopefully I can document them. It's been crazy busy moving

Julie said...

I love your hutch? Great choice if color.

Happy belated SITS Day! :)

Julie @ This Gal Cooks