Friday, November 30, 2012

Five Minute Friday: A Matter of "Bravery" or a Love of Driving?

This week I've been out on business in Missouri. I like Missouri. My parents live here, although I never have. They moved after I was out of grad school.

I'm traveling with three coworkers. Instead of heading home with them today, I got a flight "home" on Sunday so I could head north to spend time with my parents. So this morning I picked up a rental car, and drove myself to my vendor's site.

The two other ladies that I am traveling with marveled at my decision to drive the three hours by myself to Kansas City. I, on the other hand, think nothing of this. I drove five hours by myself to get to college, back in those days. I've driven across the country three times. I think nothing at all of driving alone.

In fact, back when I was pregnant, one of the women leading a birth class asked what we would miss most when we had a newborn.

My answer?

"Driving... driving fast, with the windows open and the sunroof open and the music blaring. I will miss driving."

I love the open road. I love the freedom. I love being on my own. I simply can not imagine being afraid of that freedom.

And here I am, just two years later, ready to drive. With loud music, on my way to see my amazing parents. These next three hours in a conference room will feel like an eternity.
Linking up to:

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

This reminds me of my daughter. She thinks nothing of renting a car and driving alone in an unknown area. I, on the other hand, would be terrified. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Laura Boggess said...

I know that feeling, Paula. Pure freedom. I pray the meeting went fast and your visit with your parents was sweet. And the drive back even sweeter.

Paula said...

Thank you both for visiting. I had a great visit; good spending time with my parents, and I got to revisit a ton of childhood memories as I sorted through a few boxes in the basement. :)

Liz said...

I hope you had a great visit! I love my 40 minute drive to work. It's my time! Before I got married I would just get in the car and drive. Of course gas was $.99 then...lol!