Tuesday, October 9, 2012

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Today I received an email that our retreat for this weekend, the retreat entitled "Big Love," has been cancelled. We didn't have a single person signed up. I'm definitely disappointed. And I would not be as worried if it weren't for the fact that it is the second retreat in a row that has been cancelled.

I'm certain that the current economic state has something to do with young adults not signing up for a retreat. To spend $55 for a single day, or around $200 for a weekend is a big chunk of change. I get it. I honestly do.

But I can't pretend that I'm not saddened by this. Or that I'm not sad that my dear friend Father Rusy was reassigned to a parish near LA. I had so many good times with him, led so many great retreats with him.


It is always hard when things don't go the way I'd like, when something I really do LOVE doing is interrupted. I feel a bit like a little bird being pushed out of it's nest. Perhaps God is telling me to fly, to do my thing, to trust that I can make it happen. To know that I have a "home" at San Damiano, that I have a place to come back to, but that it is time to move on.

I have to have faith in the fact that this is not a bad thing, but an opportunity. Now I just need to figure out what the silver lining is and get a move on making whatever that is happen :)

I said I wanted to lead retreats elsewhere .... perhaps this is the push I needed?




Sharing with:

2 comments:

Laura Boggess said...

I love how you are reacting to this disappointment, Paula. Asking. This is the way to transformation. I wonder what God is up to?

So glad you linked to Playdates with God this week.

Paula said...

Thank you Laura :) there is always room to ask, for sure. I do better leaning in to faith, assuming there's something meaningful in this.