Thursday, July 5, 2012

DIY Gardening: Plants for free on craigslist

Our new place has a big yard, with a big lawn. There's a sandbox that Zoom really loves, so much that he has learned to say sandbox.

There's also very little landscaping. Just bare spots, as if perhaps the last owners didn't know what to do or didn't have the time or the money or the interest.

On the 4th we found a Craigslist posting for free plants, up in the Oakland Hills. We just had to dig them ourselves, but we could take as many agapanthus as we wanted.

So we dug up about 16 and brought them home. Sean dug holes, we mixed in fresh soil. New life in old dirt. As fireworks boomed overhead that evening, little Zoom ran in the dark of the backyard, we toiled to bring love, purpose, inspiration to a forgotten space.

This morning I took my cereal and my coffee out to the back patio, sat facing these new Lilies of the Valley. I could not get over how a little work, a little effort had already made such a difference. How this garden was becoming my garden, how this house was becoming a home for my family.

5 comments:

Heather Woyak said...

well this is cool - never thought to search for free plants on craigslist. thanks for the fyi :)

Liz said...

That's awesome! Free is always good!

TLouise said...

How great, free plants!
I'm a new follower, looking forward to reading more of your blog. :)

Landscaping Ideas said...

I found some plants on the side of the road once. They were just dug up and had a free sign on them. Nothing much better than free. Yet the next year when everything bloomed it was even more amazing to see what I had been given.

Paula said...

Thanks everyone - yeah, we were super happy to figure out a way to start the free landscaping :) I've now got it in my head that I want to get as many free things for the yard as I can.