Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December 6: Free Christmas Ornaments or Focusing on What's Important

Day 6: Finding new ways to make Christmas traditions special with a 1 year old

Zoom likes shiny things. He likes to grab them, to throw them, to put them in his mouth. I can't stop him, he's curious. I actually don't want to stop him, it's how he learns.

Enter the Christmas Tree. Instead of seeing the "problems" with having a tree, I'm challenging myself to create something beautiful, inexpensive, and very baby friendly. Today I made some Christmas ornaments, and I have some ideas on ways to make more soon :)

Here are today's ornaments, from artist Becca Kallem via Nicole Balch's post on Making it Lovely. I liked Nicole's joke about "put a bird on it" :) Anyway ... I printed out Becca's beautiful birds, and glued them on to a hanging file folder. I chose the folders because of their green background, I thought that if the non-bird side were to show, the green would blend in with the tree. I cut the birds out and we'll punch a hole and add some ribbon to them to tie them on the tree. Easy, and free :)

freebird_ornaments


Here are some other free ideas I found around the internet:





4 comments:

Vicky said...

I love free and your birdie ornaments are so pretty. They would be very pretty on a tree. I am a new follower visiting from Creations by Kara. Vicky from Mess For Less

Paula said...

Thanks Vicky! I'm so glad you stopped by :) I'm hopping over to your blog right now!

Liz said...

That's a great idea! When my friends Suzanna & Wayne had Jesse I inherited all of their glass ball ornaments. I was so excited! I won't have to buy ornaments for a long time...thanks to little Jesse!

Paula said...

I need to do a recap on what we've done with the tree. We spent about $45, but we now have an indestructible tree that looks pretty, too.

Congrats on the ornaments! I now have several sets of glass items I'm going to be saving for a couple of years. I hope we can bring them out again when Zoom is older.