Sunday, October 4, 2009

New Orleans, Oak Alley and Laura Plantation and a Swamp Tour

The second half of the New Orleans trip was awesome. My Mom and I spent five nights and had a grand time.

On Monday, we decided to head out to a couple of plantations. We started with Oak Alley, which is famous ... because folks, it's where Hope and Bo got married in 1985 on Days of Our Lives. To commemorate the vast import of that historical event, Mom and I watched that footage on YouTube as we sat in the cafeteria on my iPhone.

Oak Alley has 28 Live Oaks out front, and it makes a lovely entry to the old home:
Oak Alley from River Road

We had a mint julep on the veranda. Here I am enjoying mine:
Mint Julip

And lastly, here's my Mom and I out in front. Mom, I hope you don't mind making your blog debut here...
In front of Oak Alley

Next, we drove just down the street to Laura Plantation. Laura is a Creole Plantation, and it had bright colors and a lively feel. I told my Mom that I was clearly of Creole decent because I loved how everything looked.

Here's the front of the house:
IMG_1001

And the backyard, check out the sky!
Off the back of Laura Plantation

The next day we went on a swamp tour. It was pretty cool - the best part was the very end, when we came upon Brutus. Brutus is a 15 1/2 foot, 35 year old alligator. He was actually very nice, and loved eating hot dogs and marshmallows. Check him out...


3 comments:

Kathie @ my net finds said...

that is so awesome!

Sheri said...

Aww glad you guys had a great time in New Orleans too! I wish you had gone to Houmas House Plantation and San Fransisco Plantation - great ones too! Maybe next time? :)

Liz said...

I love to tour old homes so I know I would have loved that!

Brutus is so cute!