Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Course in the Old Testament

In the past few months, I've been looking for "what's next" in my love of Religious Studies. A dear friend has been emailing me about a fantastic class that she's taking next quarter, and has been lovingly asking me if I'd join her.

Initially, I emailed the admissions people to see if I could take the class as a special student. The costs are high. $2000 is a lot of money for a single class. (And of course, it shows my age when I find myself thinking "It cost less than that for a whole quarter of classes back when I was at UCSB." Then again, I'm realizing that this years' freshman at college were born the year I graduated from high school.)

My friend IMed me again today and asked what I was thinking. We chatted and she asked why I might not audit the class.

In a crazy turn of events, I've just emailed a professor at UC Berkeley's Franciscan School of Theology asking if I can audit his course. I'm thrilled and can't wait to hear back.

I'm crossing the "do at least one thing a day that scares you" line item from my list now.

4 comments:

Tabitha@ichoosebliss.net said...

That's awesome and Theology is way cool. I never thought I'd ever say that!

nowealthbutlife said...

Really looking forward to hearing more about this class. I imagine that it will be years before I will be able to take such classes again (I've only done undergrad) but I am already looking forward to it. ::hides hints at living vicariously through Paula::

Paula said...

Well, sadly, I won't be able to audit either. The school requires that you be a student in order to audit. :(

But! Perhaps ... this Old Testament thing could take form in a bloggy event? I mean, I'm no professor, but maybe we could all dig in together?

I'll post and see if people might be interested in some sort of weekly writing prompt.

Liz said...

Sorry it didn't work out. It sounds like an interesting class.