Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cheap Bedroom Lamp Re-do

First, this is my 200th post! Can you even believe it? Wow - thanks to you guys for stopping by, reading, and commenting. I've really loved getting to know a bunch of new people through the blog.

As you know, I've been focused on "re-doing" the bedroom. I was bad and never really took before pictures, but I'll be sure and grab some afters :)

A couple of weekends ago, I took on the nightstand lamps. Functionally, they were fine. But, check this out - not so cute. Someone pinch me and remind me when I turned 90, please:

OK, so they are not that bad. I bought them at Tuesday Morning about 9 years ago, and I think it's just the colors that are out of date. And the shape of the shade.

I taped off the top, and taped about a foot of the cord, so when I didn't cover those areas with spray paint. I wouldn't recommend the tape I used, it's neon duct tape that I got free from a photo shoot at work. It was too sticky, but I made due since it was free. Here's a side by side view of the two on the patio:

Lastly I wanted a shade that had a more up to date look, but that was cheap. I scored these beuts at Target for $5.99 each. I stuck with white on white, and figured I could add some decorative touches on the shades later once I've narrowed down the over all style of the room.

Here's a side by side of the before and after - and yes, the base is slightly different, although the coloring was the same. Doesn't the new shade make it look totally different?

Total cost of this - about $16 for both. I already had the spray paint, but let's claim it's about $2 of paint. ;-)