Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day: Leaving Flowers for Others

Welcome to all those stopping by from Pecannoot!

Welcoming Spirit is about joy and life, its where I've chronicled some of my adventures in retreat leading, and talked a little about some of the challenges and hurdles of this life. I feel like we get to choose joy every day. We can wake up and decide that this will be a great day, or we can decide that we're going to buy in to everything the media wants us to fear.

So, on this May Day, let's all vow to choose love. Let's all leave the equivalent of little flowers for each other throughout the day by smiling at someone on the street, offering a seat to someone on the bus, or giving a reassuring word to someone at work. It's easy to start with tiny steps. A smile encourages another person to laugh, to love, and live life to it's fullest.

And now, let life's party begin! Here's a little Volare, by the Gypsy Kings:




Volare is an Italian song, and the lyrics (translated below) are sheer joy:
I think that a dream almost never returns:
I was painting my hands and my face blue.
Then suddenly I was coming, carried off by the wind,
And I was beginning to fly into the endless sky.

To fly, Oh!, Oh!,
To sing, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!
In the blue, painted blue,
Happy to be up there.

And I flew and flew happily to the heights of the Sun
And higher and higher into the sky.
While the world slowly, slowly
Disappeared in the distance down there.
Sweet music sounded
For me alone.

To fly, Oh!, Oh!,
To sing, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!
In the blue, painted blue,
Happy to be there.

But all the dreams vanish at dawn because
When it sets, the Moon takes them along,
But I continue dreaming in your beautiful eyes
That are blue like a sky dotted with stars.

To fly, Oh!, Oh!,
To sing, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!
In the blue of your blue eyes
Happy to be there.

But I continue to fly happily to the heights of the Sun
And higher and higher into the sky.
While the world slowly, slowly
Disappears in your blue eyes,
Your voice is sweet music
That sounds for me.

To fly, Oh!, Oh!,
To sing, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!, Oh!
In the blue of your blue eyes
Happy to be there.

6 comments:

Tabitha in Bliss said...

Bravo!

nowealthbutlife said...

Great post! I must confess that I didn't realize/remember that it was May Day until I read this. Thanks for the encouraging post! I am really going to do my best to smile at people tomorrow.

Tabitha in Bliss said...

Congratulations!!!

You are the winner of my 200th post giveaway!!

Please email me when you can so that I can send out your prize!

Liz said...

Great post, Paula!!

please sir said...

Oh I love the Gypsy Kings!

Sonia Gallagher said...

What a great idea to post a music video on your blog! And its my favorite group! I will definitely be back to your site often.