Friday, January 30, 2009

Twenty Five Things about Me

A little weekend fun for you all ...

Sheri and my friend Lara on Facebook both tagged me with this “25 Things About Me” post, and here are my answers. Hope you enjoy them :)

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits or goals about you. Then tag 25 people, including the person who tagged you.

1. Emo music is a guilty pleasure of mine. I adore Fall Out Boy, Amber Pacific, even though I'm probably at least 10 years outside of their target demographic.

2. I don't like E.T, Pretty Woman, Reese's Pieces, or Cadbury Creme Eggs.

3. I love Aliens, Legally Blond, Peanut Butter M&Ms and Cadbury Mini Eggs.

4. I've been to Israel and floated in the Dead Sea.

5. I don't drink soda. Any kind, ever.

6. The only fast food I eat is In-n-Out Burger.

7. The reasons I don't drink soda or eat fast food is because both are brimming with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is my primary migraine trigger. It's been a wild ride avoiding things I actually love and finding things I can eat. Now, before I buy any food at all, I look it at the label. If it has HFCS I don't buy it. If I don't know, I won't eat it. It's taken a long time to to the point where I have that kind of self restraint.

8. I've lived in Colorado, Connecticut (twice), Arizona, Minnesota, and California.

9. My family moved five times by the time I was ten, but I haven't moved again since I was ten (except to go to college and grad school).

10. I have an irrational fear of needles and sharp things. It's gotten a little better since I started getting migraines, since there was a period of time when I was going through a ton of blood work and stuff.

11. My first car was a 1975 VW Bug named Tweety. It was yellow, of course.

12. Yellow is my favorite color.

13. My birthday present from my parents when I was six was an Italian Greyhound puppy that I named Buffy. This was *cough* 19 years *cough* before a similarly named Vampire Slayer showed up on the scene.

14. I am a fan of Firefly and the movie Serenity. It seems that my dog's name may have been a precursor to a love of Joss Whedon's work. I also love Battlestar Galactica.

15. If I had my way, I'd probably eat a pasta based dish at least 5 times a week.

16. I only have three front bottom teeth; I was born that way. Most people have four front bottom teeth. Go look :) Tom Cruise, on the other hand, has only three front top teeth. That's probably the only way he and I are at all alike, well other than we're both short.

17. I wear a women's size five shoe, which is also a children's three. That means I can buy kid's shoes, which is handy for sports shoes because they cost less than the adult sizes.

18. In Divinity School, I took Pastoral Counseling as an elective. I also took Performance of Biblical Text. Both were awesome.

19. My very favorite video games are Halo (Xbox), Kings Quest (old PC), and World of Warcraft.

20. My hair is naturally very curly, but its only really recently that I started wearing that way. But I tend to go in phases, curly for a couple weeks and straight for a couple weeks.

21. One of my favorite places is the ocean. I'm grateful that I went to UC Santa Barbara for college, which is within walking distance of the beach.

22. Once upon a time, my sister and I lived in the same apartment complex; I was one floor up and two apartments over from her. It was really nice to live that close, and made it really easy for when my parents came to visit.

23. I've driven across the USA three times in my car. I really enjoyed driving with my Mom because we'd take the time to stop and go to interesting places like the Wendell August forge in Grove City, PA.

24. Last year I went to Scotland with my parents, and it was an amazing trip. It was the first time I'd traveled with both of them as an adult, even though we'd gone on plenty of family trips when I was a kid. We went after my Dad retired, and drove throughout Scotland. One night we stayed at a castle - the Kildrummy Castle Hotel!

25. When my Mom, Aunt, Sister and I went to Rome, we got into St Peter's for a private Mass presided by Pope Benedict XVI. We'd been told that the Pope was in town, but that the Mass that day was closed, and no one was allowed in. However, my Sister noticed that people seemed to be going in to St Peter's. We wandered over, and after some Italian / English miscommunication, it seemed we'd given the impression that we were either with the people ahead of us, or that we were "with the group that was here today." All we'd really said is that we wanted to go in. Anyway, very soon, we found ourselves in the Mass, which had been reserved for Catholic Seminarians only. I happened to sit next to an American priest who was kind enough to explain everything. I asked if the Pope was here yet and he laughed and said, "Oh no. But you won't be able to miss him when he arrives." Sure enough, the Pope made a grand entrance, and stopped to greet the Seminarians on both sides of the aisle. I've never heard such a roar of excitement in my whole life. It was a real treat.


IMG_1030

I was this close to Pope Benedict! No zoom here, folks :) Check out all the Happy Seminarians just behind him. It was a really happy day.

Instead of tagging others, consider yourself tagged if you've read this :) If you'd like to play along, please list 25 things about yourself on your blog and leave a note in the comments so we can come and read them.

2 comments:

Liz said...

It was great getting to know you better. I can so relate to #15.

Sheri said...

Thanks for doing the post! That was fun getting to know more about you. That is really cool that you were that close to the Pope! Also, I think that is great that you are able to not drink soda and other things with HFCS. I wish I had that kind of restraint!