Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inspiration and Interior Design

One of my favorite kinds of blogs (along side my *favorite* kind of blog, that of the inspirational nature) are home decorating blogs. I'm a total fiend for TV shows like "Trading Spaces," "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," and even "This Old House." But I'm totally gonna fess up here ... I'll watch the whole show just for two things - One - to see the people's faces and reactions to the room or house that has been redone, and Two - to just see the before and after shots. Who doesn't love before and after shots?!? I don't need the whole hour (or really, This Old House - we don't need 5 shows about one renovation project), I just love those last ten minutes.

I think why I love those last ten minutes is because they really showcase the inspiration that leads to the big reveal. There's a lot of work that goes into redecorating a home or room. Really good decorators are clearly in their element, taking the project to heart, and giving their creative all to a project. I'm fascinated by interior design, and so I love seeing how a good decorator can turn something old into something new. To me, it's truly inspiring.

So, without much further adieu, here a a few of my favorite decorator type blogs.

Making It Lovely - Nicole has an eye for decorating with clean lines, and an underlining 60sIMG_8694 style. I'd personally LOVE to redo my apartment with this look, but I get totally overwhelmed in wondering where to start. So, I started with this ceramic bird on a mission style end table. Something about "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step..."

This Young House - Really, if you haven't met Sherry and John, you need to run over to their blog right now. I won't even be mad, because they are just that awesome. They have a ton of before and after shots, and maybe some day if I am lucky, they can help me with my living room.

Making This Home - Katie and her husband live in Berlin, in a 480 square foot apartment. They are Americans, and their blog chronicles their adventures in upgrading their home. I like reading because it reminds me to be grateful for all 891 square feet of our apartment.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I love home improvement shows too. Our TV pretty much stays on HGTV. I'll go check out these blogs you mentioned.

Katherine E. said...

How interesting. I love home decorating as well--just as a kind of "nesting" thing, plus as I age I just want my environment to speak Beauty to me. I've never thought of checking out some home decorating blogs. Thanks, Paula!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Oh my gosh, Paula. I think I nearly fainted when I saw my blog listed next to those two superstars. You have seriously touched me. Thank you, thank you.
Katie

Paula said...

Hee! I love your blog, Katie!! You are doing amazing things with your home :) and you inspired me to start working harder on my own space.