Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Handmade Labyrinth on the Patio!

When I walked out on to our patio at work today, I was met with ... a full sized Labyrinth made in chalk!! I could not believe my eyes. It was beautiful and inspired, and well, not completely finished. So, I asked my co-worker if I could help finish drawing in the lines and she said yes. I was so totally thrilled to help and actually see this thing at work that I ended up crawling on the ground, getting chalky, and scuffing my work shoes, but who cared!?!? because ZOMG! there's a labyrinth at work!!

I didn't get to see my co-worker setting it up, but she told me that she'd put a chair in the middle and used some rope, marked off at equal intervals to make the circles. It's a full 11 circuit labyrinth, like the one at Chartres Cathedral (and Grace Cathedral in SF). We had a nice talk about how she'd fallen in love with them in Ireland and that's where she first saw them. What really gets me excited is this makes me realize that you could create a labyrinth anywhere for a retreat. What a great part of the week of Inspiration!

On the way to my car, I stopped and took another picture, of the Palace Hotel. This is from the Stephenson ally:

The Palace Hotel

1 comment:

Liz said...

That's awesome work with the chalk.

Love the picture you took.