Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Crossing the Threshold, More thoughts

In doing more researching on doorways and thresholds this morning, I came across this line, from Revelations 3:20 ""Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me."

My first thought when I read this, I thought "wait, I know Rev. 3:20, it's from the In-N-Out Burger burger wrapper!" I mean, I knew that's not where it originated from, but my first frame of reference for this quote was from seeing it on the bottom of a burger wrapper. But if you're not from California, let me defend In-N-Out for just one second. It's awesome. There.

Did you know this little tidbit? Each of the wrappers (except the fries) have a different Biblical reference on them. While attending UCSB (Go Gauchos!) I would drive to the closest In-N-Out, which was about an hour away, and eat there as a treat sometimes after a test. And, I noticed once, while looking at the cup that there was a quote referenced on the bottom. Then I checked the wrapper of the burgers, and sure enough, they had them too. After "investigating" and finding a new quote, I'd write them down and look them up when I got back to a Bible (as a Religious Studies major, I had at least 3 - NRSV, The Tanakh, Hebrew Bible in Hebrew). It became a little like a scavenger hunt, since I didn't know any of the quotes except for John 3:16 which is on the beverage cups. At the time, the adventure seemed so suitably "Southern California Religious Studies Major," and I was quite tickled and delighted by the whole thing. Now In-N-Out has grown, and now I've found all of the quotes, and so has everyone else since they are available here, on the Wikipedia.


Palm Tree and Wires

No comments: