Friday, October 10, 2008

Welcoming Music: Girl Sailor

Every once and awhile, there's a song you just can't get enough of. "Girl Sailor," by The Shins, is one of those songs for me. Even now, at the ripe old age of *cough* I have been known to play this song on repeat and listen to it 4 or 5 times in a row.

And why do I love it? There's something so reminiscent of who I was, oh, four years ago in this girl that they sing about. There's something haunting about the second verse, speaking of the strong and capable person I would become, after I had been through a divorce and learned to live on my own. I know I have become the girl that can "shake things off in flight" now.

And yet, in this same verse, The Shins do a remarkable job of capturing the sentiment that each of us decides, every day, if we are to be happy or sad, victorious or defeated, full of loss or full of love. And truly, it is in a moment's decision that we can each make this decision. The song speaks to that, in both a serious and light manner. Every day each of us decides if we will "sail" her or "sink her" this time.

So go ahead, give it a listen or five:



"A stronger girl would shake this off in flight,
And never give it more than a frowning hour,
But you have let your heart decide,
Loss has conquered you"

Which have you decided today?

No comments: