Monday, October 6, 2008

Grace, In all Situations

I got to go visit my parents over the weekend - they live in Kansas City now. It's always great to have a free Southwest ticket and a couple of days off of work to use it. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, so visiting my parents is not quite "going home" since I don't know the town that well. I do love KC. My parents always plan fun things, and I have long admired the big sky and friendly people in the mid-west.

We went by the Applefest in Weston, Missouri and had some great food. I love visiting Weston, and I particularly love stopping by the candle shop "5B&Co" - originally called "5 Blessings," and named so because of the owner's five children. It's a cool shop, with great original scents (they pour all their own candles), and a very friendly owner.

We also watched "Meet the Press" (a favorite of my Dad) - which included Peggy Noonan this week. She's the author of a book entitled "Patriotic Grace." Ms. Noonan's take on patriotism is truly refreshing, and I feel it has a place on a blog that explores the Spiritual nature of today's world.

"What we need most right now, at this moment, is a kind of patriotic grace—a grace that takes the long view, apprehends the moment we’re in, comes up with ways of dealing with it, and eschews the politically cheap and manipulative. That admits affection and respect. That encourages them. That acknowledges that the small things that divide us are not worthy of the moment; that agrees that the things that can be done to ease the stresses we feel as a nation should be encouraged, while those that encourage our cohesion as a nation should be supported."

Ms. Noonan has addressed something that is at the heart of the matter for me. Each of us should be called to look past the petty moments of life, and to find the common ground. If each of us could take a stand to be mature, to be caring, to look for ways to come together, this world would be taking a step in the right direction.



How can you attempt to take a step in towards Grace?

No comments: